Share this post:
As much as Amazon might scare many of us in the publishing industry, the truth is that Amazon has been a boon to book publishing. The new Kindle Fire is bound to add to Amazon’s domination of book distribution–and all digital content for that matter–but I must say I don’t really mind at this point. It continues to be a win-win opportunity for authors and readers alike.
So what’s so good about the Fire? For one, it’s an answer to all of those readers who want to read in color. I’ve often heard from existing Kindle owners that the text-based E-Ink technology limited the attractiveness of the device. Well, no more–if you want to read magazines or look at pretty graphs and photos you can now have at it.
Another great thing about the Kindle Fire is that it’s more than just an ebook reader, which was a common complaint from many in my Facebook community. Do we want to walk around with yet another electronic device just to read ebooks, especially when you could just get an Apple iPad and do all these cool things AND read books? Well, consumers had a good point, and the Fire addresses that request.
And, speaking of the iPad vs. Fire debate, there’s a good article today that highlights why the Fire might be an iPad killer. I’m sure the jury’s still out on this, but so far I like what I’m seeing. Some highlights-
1. Affordability. Only $199, vs. the iPad’s $500. Easy math.
2. More content. You’ll be able to access 18 million movies, TV shows, songs, magazines, and books through Amazon’s digital store.
3. Free storage. Don’t keep your files on your device, keep them in the “cloud.” Don’t you love new technology?
4. Other applications. This was a real negative with the earlier Kindles, but not anymore. With the Fire, Amazon will make available the very best and most popular Android apps from the open market.
5. Easier to hold. The 10-inch iPad is a lot of fun, but not easy to hold. The new 7-inch Kindle Fire is lighter and a lot more portable.
Come on, baby, light my (Kindle) Fire!
Till next time, keep publishing–